- The West Bengal government has announced 10% reservation in government jobs and educational institutions to people belonging to the economically weaker sections (EWS).
- West Bengal was one of the states that had not implemented the 10% reservation for the EWS introduced by the Centre in January 2019. Gujarat was the first state to implement 10% reservation for EWS category.
- The Constitution (103rd Amendment) Act provides for 10% reservation in government jobs and educational institutions for the economically weaker section in the unreserved category
- The Act amends Article 15 and 16 to provide for reservation based on economic backwardness.
- The criteria for Economically Weaker Section (EWS) includes a) annual income below Rs 8 lakh; b) agriculture land below 5 acres; c) residential house below 1,000 sq.ft; d) residential plot below 100 yards in notified municipality and residential plot below 200 yards in non-notified municipality area.
5 min read