- Union Minister for Social Justice and Empowerment has said that the Uttar Pradesh government’s move to relist OBCs (Other Backward Classes) in the Schedule Caste list is unconstitutional and it is a transgression of Parliament’s jurisdiction.
- Recently, UP government had directed district magistrates and commissioners to issue caste certificates to 17 OBCs.
- Article 341(1) of the Indian Constitution gives the president the power to notify which castes in the country, and in specific states come under the category of Scheduled Castes.
- According to Article 341 (2), the Parliament by law can include in or exclude from the list of Scheduled Castes.
- Scheduled Castes are those castes named in the Scheduled Castes order of the Government of India, promulgated in August 1950.
- The criteria for inclusion of a community/ caste in the Scheduled caste is extreme social, educational and economic backwardness arising out of traditional practice of untouchability.
4 min read