News:Union Minister of Women and Child Development and Textiles will felicitate districts and states which have successfully implemented the Beti Bachao Beti Padhao (BBBP) scheme.
Bachao Beti Padhao (BBBP) scheme
- Beti Bachao Beti Padhao(BBBP) scheme was launched in January, 2015.The scheme is aimed at promoting gender equality and the significance of educating girls.
- The scheme is targeted at improving the Child Sex Ratio through multi sectoral interventions including prevention of gender biased sex selection and promoting girls’ education and her holistic empowerment.
- The scheme is a tri-ministerial effort of Ministries of (a)Women and Child Development (b)Health & Family Welfare and (c)Human Resource Development.
Child Sex Ratio
- Child Sex Ratio is defined as number of girls per 1000 of boys between 0-6 years of age.Hence,a decline in the CSR is a major indicator of women disempowerment.
Sex Ratio in India:
- As per the 2011 census,the adult sex ratio in India is 940 females for every 1000 males.
- The child sex ratio (of children between the ages 0 and 6 years) is far worse at 914 females for every 1000 males.