- The Union Cabinet has approved the Jammu and Kashmir Reservation (Second Amendment) Bill, 2019.
- The bill provides up to 10% reservation for the Economically Weaker Sections(EWS) in educational institutions and public employment alongside existing reservations in the state.
- The 10% quota Bill to economically weaker sections was introduced through the 103rd Constitution Amendment in January,2019.
- The Constitution (103rd Amendment) Act provides for 10% reservation in government jobs and educational institutions for the economically weaker section in the unreserved category
- The Act amends Article 15 and 16 to provide for reservation based on economic backwardness.
- The criteria for Economically Weaker Section (EWS) includes a) annual income below Rs 8 lakh; b) agriculture land below 5 acres; c) residential house below 1,000 sq.ft; d) residential plot below 100 yards in notified municipality and residential plot below 200 yards in non-notified municipality area.
1 min read