News:Department of Animal Husbandry released two diagnostic kits developed by Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR) under the Indian Veterinary Research Institute.
About the diagnostic kits:
- The diagnostic kits developed are Bluetongue sandwich ELISA(sELISA) and the Japanese Encephalitis lgM ELISA kit for the control of Swine and Detection of AntigenELISA.
About Bluetongue virus:
- It is an insect-transmitted viral disease of domestic and wild ruminants that includes the camelid species.
- The disease is widespread among the sheep, goats, cattle, buffaloes and camels in the country.
- Bluetongue Virus can be controlled with the vaccination of susceptible animals, vector control and quarantine of infected animals with the good management practices.
About Japanese Encephalitis:
- Japanese encephalitis is caused by Japanese encephalitis virus (JEV).
- JEV is a mosquito-borne flavivirus and belongs to the same genus as dengue, yellow fever and West Nile viruses.
- The first case of Japanese encephalitis viral disease(JE) was documented in 1871 in Japan.