News: Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs(CCEA) has approved an investment of Rs 1,810 crore for the Luhri Stage-1 Hydro Electric Project.
- Luhri Stage-1 Hydro Electric Project: It is a 210 MW project being developed on the Satluj river in Shimla and Kullu districts of Himachal Pradesh.
- Executed by: The project is being executed by the Satluj Jal Vidyut Nigam Ltd.
- Sutlej River: It is the easternmost tributary of the Indus River.It is the longest of the five rivers that flow through the historic crossroads region of Punjab in northern India and Pakistan.
- Dam: The Bhakra dam is built around the river Sutlej to provide irrigation and other facilities to the nearby areas.
- Significance: The waters of the Sutlej are allocated to India under the Indus Waters Treaty between India and Pakistan and are mostly diverted to irrigation canals in India.