- Census 2021 is unlikely to collect “caste wise” data. This is because the Socio-Economic Caste Census had collected data on caste however, it was difficult to tabulate the data. The data is yet to be released by the Centre.
- The Census 2021 would restrict itself to Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes data.
- A census of population is the total process of collecting, compiling, evaluating, analysing and publishing demographic, economic and social data of all the population, pertaining at a specific time.
- A systematic and modern population census, in its present form was conducted non -synchronously between 1865 and 1872 in different parts of India
- However, the first synchronous census in India was held in 1881. Since then, censuses have been undertaken uninterruptedly once every ten years.
- The Indian Census collects Socioeconomic and demographic characteristics at the individual level and data on Housing amenities, household goods at the household level
- Census 2011 was the 15th National Census of the country.
- The Socio Economic and Caste Census (SECC) was conducted in 2011 by the Ministry of Rural Development and Ministry of Housing & Urban Poverty Alleviation in rural and urban areas respectively.
- SECC-2011 data are used for implementation of various programmes including Pradhan Mantri AwaasYojana-Gramin, Deendayal Antyodaya Yojana-National Rural Livelihood Mission and Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana etc.
2 min read