News:Union Human Resource Minister has chaired the Special Meeting of the Central Advisory Board of Education(CABE).
- The Central Advisory Board of Education (CABE) is the highest advisory body to advise the Central and State Governments in the field of education.
- It is the oldest and the most important advisory body of the Government of India in education.
- It was first established in 1920 and dissolved in 1923 due to financial crisis.It was revived in 1935 and has been in existence ever since.
- The idea that there should be a central Advisory Board of Education was first put forward by the Calcutta University Commission (1917-19)
- The Chairman of the board is Union Minister of Human Resource Development.
- The Vice- Chairman is the Minister of State for Human Resource Development.
Functions of CABE:
- To review the progress of education from time to time.
- To appraise the extent and manner in which the education policy has been implemented by the Central and State Governments, and other concerned agencies, and to give appropriate advice in the matter.
- To advice regarding coordination between the Central and State Governments/UT Administrations, State Governments and non-governmental agencies for educational development in accordance with the education policy.
- To advise, suo motu, or on a reference made to it by the Central Government or any State Government or Union Territory Administration or any educational question.