News:Ministry of Health and Family Welfare will observe the Vigilance Awareness Week as per directions of Central Vigilance Commission (CVC).
- The Central Vigilance Commission was set up by the Government in February,1964 on the recommendations of the Committee on Prevention of Corruption, headed by Shri K. Santhanam.
- The Commission was accorded the status of independent statutory authority through the Central Vigilance Commission Act,2003.
- As the apex integrity institution, the Commission is mandated to fight corruption and to ensure integrity in public administration.
- It is not controlled by any Ministry or Department.It is an independent body which is only responsible to the Parliament.
Composition and Tenure:
- CVC is a multi-member Commission consists of a Central Vigilance Commissioner (Chairperson) and not more than two Vigilance Commissioners (Member).
- They are appointed by the President on the recommendations of a Committee consisting of the Prime Minister (Chairperson), the Minister of Home Affairs (Member) and the Leader of the Opposition in the House of the People (Member).
- The term of office of the Central Vigilance Commissioner and the Vigilance Commissioners is four years from the date on which they enter their office or till they attain the age of 65 years, whichever is earlier.