News: NITI Aayog will develop draft policy for enhancing ICDS programme in urban areas.
Integrated Child Development scheme
- Launched in 1975, the scheme is implemented by the Ministry of Women and Child Development.
- Improvement in the health and nutritional status of children 0–6 years and pregnant and lactating mothers.
- Reduction in the incidence of their mortality and school drop out
- Psychological, physical and social development of the child.
- Enhancement of the maternal education
- Children 0–6 years of age
- Pregnant and lactating mothers
- Women 15–44 year of age
- Since 1991 adolescent girls up to the age of 18 years for non-formal education and training on health and nutrition
- Supplementary Nutrition
- Pre-school non-formal education
- Nutrition & health education
- Health check-up and
- Referral services
- The services arc extended to the target community at a focal point ‘Anganwadi’ (AWC)
- AWC is managed by female worker ‘Anganwadi Worker'(AWW) who is the key community level functionary