News:According to the data from Childline India Foundation,one in every 10 calls made to the child emergency helpline 1098 was of child abuse.
Key takeaways from the data:
- The largest number of phone calls were made to seek intervention for Child abuse cases followed by those pertaining to child labour , education , runaways and missing children.
- The nature of abuse children suffered shows that 37% of the complaints were about child marriage, 27% about physical abuse , 13% regarding sexual abuse among others.
- The data also shows that 35% of the total cases of sexual abuse were committed by neighbours, 25% by strangers and 11% by family members.
About CHILDLINE India Foundation(CIF):
- CHILDLINE India Foundation(CIF) is the nodal agency of the Union Ministry of Women and Child Development.
- It acts as the parent organisation for setting up, managing and monitoring the childline 1098 service all over the country.
- It is also the sole agency responsible for monitoring childline service delivery and finance, training, research and documentation, creating awareness, advocacy as well as resource generation for the service.