- China has released a white paper titled “China’s National Defence in the New Era”.
- The paper has touched upon various aspects of its military development comparing with India, US, Russia and other countries.
- The white paper has tried to justify China building military facilities in foreign locations and signalled that it would continue with efforts in this direction.
- China has already established a military support base in Djibouti in the Horn of Africa.
- Further,experts have said that China may establish military bases in countries with which it has a longstanding friendly relationship and similar strategic interests such as Pakistan and in which there is a precedent for hosting foreign militaries.
- India has also been worried that China’s People’s Liberation Army would use the $60 billion China-Pakistan Economic Corridor(CPEC) to extend its military reach.
- CPEC refers to a number of major infrastructure works currently under way in Pakistan intended to link Kashgar in China’s Xinjiang province to Gwadar deep sea port close to Pakistan’s border with Iran.The project seeks to expand and upgrade infrastructure across the length and breadth of Pakistan.
- The CPEC passes through Pakistan-Occupied Kashmir (Gilgit-Baltistan). As both India and Pakistan claim all of Kashmir,the area is considered a disputed territory by India. According to India,it undermines India’s strategic interests and territorial integrity.
2 min read