- Indian Navy Chief has said that the Indian armed forces will need to respond to China’s rapidly-expanding military might, especially its growing naval footprint in the Indian Ocean Region(IOR).
- This statement comes after China had released its defence white paper, which mentioned Chinese military’s increased global focus.
- China is also in the process of constructing warships including aircraft carriers and submarines on war footing.
- However,the Navy chief has highlighted the Indian Navy’s current budgetary constraints.He said that Indian Navy requires long-term fiscal support for major acquisitions in the next few years as part of its modernisation plans.
- The Navy currently has around 140 warships and 220 aircraft but many of them are slated for progressive retirement.With proper funding,the Navy hopes to become a 212-warship and 458-aircraft force by around 2030.
1 min read