News:The first conference of Military Medicine for Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) Member States will be held in New Delhi on 12-13th September, 2019.
About the conference:
- The conference will be the first Military cooperation event hosted by Indian after India became a SCO Member State in 2017.
- The purpose of the conference is to share best practices in the field of military medicine, build capacities and overcome common challenges.
- The conference will be conducted by the Indian Armed Forces under the aegis of Headquarters Integrated Defence Staff(HQ IDS).
- The SCO Member States will be represented by senior military medical practitioners.
- The dialogue partners Nepal and Sri Lanka will also be sending their delegations to participate in the Conference.
Shanghai Cooperation Organisation(SCO):
- The Shanghai Cooperation Organisation(SCO) also known as the Shanghai Pact is a Eurasian political, economic, and military organisation.
- It was was founded in 2001 in Shanghai.
- The Secretariat of SCO is based in Beijing,China.It provides informational, analytical & organisational support.
Objectives of SCO:
- Strengthening mutual trust and neighbourliness among the member states.
- Promoting effective cooperation in -politics, trade & economy, research & technology and culture.
- Enhancing ties in education, energy, transport, tourism, environmental protection, etc.
- Maintain and ensure peace, security and stability in the region.
- Establishment of a democratic, fair and rational new international political & economic order.
Members of SCO
- Prior to the creation of SCO in 2001,Kazakhstan, China, Kyrgyzstan, Russia and Tajikistan were members of the Shanghai Five.
- Following the accession of Uzbekistan to the organisation in 2001, the Shanghai Five was renamed to SCO.
- India and Pakistan became members in 2017.
- The observer states are namely (a)Islamic Republic of Afghanistan, (b)Republic of Belarus (c)Islamic Republic of Iran and (d)Republic of Mongolia.
- There are six dialogue partners which are (a)Republic of Azerbaijan (b) Republic of Armenia (c)Cambodia (d)Nepal (e)Turkey and (f)Sri Lanka.