News: Constitution Day is being celebrated today (26th November 2019)
About Constitution Day:
- Constitution Day or Samvidhan Divas is celebrated in India on November 26 every year. The day commemorates the adoption of the Constitution of India on 26th November 1949.
Background: The Indian Government declared 26 November as Constitution Day by a gazette notification in 2015. Earlier, 26th November was celebrated as National Law Day. The day also offers tribute to B.R. Ambedkar, the Father of Indian Constitution, who had played a pivotal role in drafting of the Indian Constitution.
Aim of the Day:
- To publicize the glorious and rich composite culture and diversity of our nation.
- To create awareness of Fundamental Duties as enshrined in the Indian Constitution
- The draft constitution was adopted by the Constituent Assembly on 26th November 1949. The Constitution as adopted on November 26, 1949, contained a Preamble, 395 Articles and 8 Schedules.
- Some provisions of the Constitution pertaining to citizenship, elections, provisional parliament, temporary and transitional provisions, and short title contained in Articles 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 60, 324, 366, 367, 379, 380, 388, 391, 392 and 393 came into force on November 26, 1949 itself.
- The remaining provisions of the Constitution came into force on January 26, 1950. This day is referred to in the Constitution as the ‘date of its commencement’, and celebrated as the Republic Day.
- Presently, it consists of a Preamble, 448 Articles (divided into 25 Parts) and 12 Schedules. It is the world’s lengthiest Constitution of a sovereign country.