News:Union Minister of State (I/C) for Youth Affairs and Sports has informed Lok Sabha about the Khelo India programme.
About Khelo India Programme:
- Khelo India Programme was introduced by the Ministry of Sports and Youth affairs to revive sports culture in India at grass-root level.
- The objective of the programme is to build a strong framework for all sports played in our country and establish India as a great sporting nation.
- The programme is the merger of following schemes (a)Rajiv Gandhi Khel Abhiyan(RGKA) (b)Urban Sports Infrastructure Scheme(USIS) and (c)National Sports Talent Search Scheme (NSTSS).
- Under the programme,talented players are identified in priority sports disciplines at various levels by High-Powered Committed and each will be provided annual financial assistance of Rs. 5 lakh for 8 years.
- Under this scheme,State wise budget allocation is not made and projects are sanctioned based on their viability. Funds are released project wise.
- Further,Khelo India School Games are also conducted as a part of the Khelo India programme.
Components of the programme:To accomplish the above objectives, Khelo India programme has been divided into 12 verticals,namely: