News:Defence Minister has flagged off the 51st K-9 Vajra-T gun at the Larsen and Toubro Armoured Systems Complex at Hazira, Surat.
About K-9 Vajra:
- The K9 Vajra has been developed by Larsen and Toubro(L&T) Armoured Systems.
- It has been developed under the Buy Global programme of Defence Procurement Procedure(DPP) where foreign companies are allowed to participate.In this case Hanwha Techwin of South Korea is the technology partner of L&T.
Features of K-9 Vajra:
- The K9 Vajra is a tracked self-propelled howitzer which has its roots in the K9 Thunder which is the mainstay of the South Korean Army.
- It weighs 50 tonnes and can fire 47kg bombs at 43-kilometre distant targets.It can also turn around at zero radius.
- The gun offers a high rate of fire at a long range and is compatible with Indian and standard NATO ammunition.
About Defence Procurement Procedure,2016:
- The Defence Procurement Procedure (DPP-2016) had replaced the DPP-2013 based on the recommendations of the Dhirendra Singh Committee.
- The procedure aims to develop world-class domestic defence and aerospace industry by promoting indigenous design, development and manufacturing of defence equipment, platforms, systems and subsystems.