News:Defence Minister has inaugurated the Sisseri River Bridge at Lower Dibang Valley in Arunachal Pradesh.
About Sisseri River Bridge:
- Sisseri River Bridge is a 200-metre long bridge between Jonai Pasighat Ranaghat Roing road.
- The river bridge provides better connectivity between Siang and Dibang Valley.It was constructed under Project Brahmank of Border Roads Organisation (BRO).
- The government has built this bridge under Border Area Development Programme (BADP).
- Border Area Development Programme(BADP) was started in 1987 in India along the India-Pakistan borders.The programme was extended to North-Eastern region in 1993-1994.
- The programme aims to meet the special development needs of the people living in remote and inaccessible areas situated near the international border.
- It also aims to saturate the border areas with the entire essential infrastructure through convergence of schemes and participatory approach.
- The programme is administered by the Department of Border Management of the Ministry of Home Affairs(MHA).
- The programme is a core centrally sponsored scheme.The funding pattern of BADP in respect of 8 North Eastern is in the ratio 90:10 and in respect of other States is in the ratio 60:40.
- At present BADP is being implemented in 17 states which share international borders of India with other countries.
- All those 17 states are – Arunachal Pradesh, Assam, Meghalaya, Manipur, Mizoram, Nagaland, Tripura, Sikkim, West Bengal, Bihar, Uttar Pradesh, Uttarakhand, Jammu & Kashmir, Himachal Pradesh, Punjab, Rajasthan and Gujarat.
- The Border Roads Organisation(BRO) was formed in 1960 to secure India’s borders and develop infrastructure in remote areas of the north and north-east states of the country.It functions under the control of the Ministry of Defence since 2015.
- BRO executes road construction and maintenance works along the northern and western frontiers primarily to meet the strategic requirements of the army and is responsible for maintenance of over 53,000 km of roads.