News:The Assam government is celebrating Brahmaputra Pushkaram from November 5 to November 16,2019.
About Pushkaram Festival:
- Pushkaram is an Indian festival dedicated to worshiping of rivers.
- The festival is also known as Pushkaralu (in Telugu), Pushkara (in Kannada) or Pushkar.
- It is celebrated at shrines along the banks of 12 major sacred rivers which are Ganga, Yamuna, Narmada, Chambal, Kaveri, Beas, Tapti, Godavari, Chenab, Krishna, Saraswati and Brahmaputra.
- The festival is celebrated in the form of ancestor worship, spiritual discourses, devotional music and cultural programmes.
- The festival happens annually once in 12 years along each river.
- Each river is associated with a zodiac sign and the river for each year’s festival is based on which sign Jupiter is in at the time.In 2019,it is happening at Brahmaputra river.