News: Delhi Chief Minister has announced that the Delhi government will start spraying bio-decomposer solutions to prevent stubble burning in non-basmati rice fields in the national capital.
- What is Bio-decomposer? It is a decomposer capsule which could be converted into a liquid solution and sprayed on fields with crop stubble. The solution when sprayed in the fields can decompose crop residue and turn it into manure.
- Who developed it? It has been developed by the Indian Agricultural Research Institute(IARI),Pusa.
- The solution increases soil fertility and reduces the use of fertilisers.
- It is a low-cost, simple and effective way to deal with the problem of stubble burning.
- Stubble Burning: It is the practice of intentionally setting fire to residues which remains after the harvest of a crop. It is usually done to clear the field quickly for the next season and to burn off weeds and other pests.
- Stubble burning is pan-Indian problem. However, it is most acute in Punjab, Haryana and Western Uttar Pradesh.