- US Secretary of State has advised India not be the economic lifeline to the regime of Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro by purchasing oil from the Latin American country.
- Earlier,U.S National Security Advisor had warned countries and companies against buying crude oil from Venezuela.It was after the visit of Venezuela’s Oil Minister to India where he said that Venezuela wants to sell more oil to the Indian market.
- The US has imposed sanctions on Venuzuela’s oil company with a view to curb crude oil exports and put pressure on the President to step down.Venezuela is the third largest supplier of oil to India.
- Venezuela has been facing economic crisis which has fuelled political discontent.Further,Venezuela President Nicolas Maduro is also facing a challenge from opposition leader Juan Guaido who declared himself acting president.The US views Guaido as Venezuela’s legitimate leader and has imposed sanctions besides taking other actions targeting top government officials.
- India has refused to go along with the US and said that it is for the people of Venezuela to find political solutions to resolve their differences through constructive dialogue and discussion without resorting to violence.
2 min read