- Recently,the 10th Mekong Ganga Cooperation(MGC) Ministerial Meeting was held in Bangkok,Thailand.
- During the meeting,India’s foreign Minister has emphasised on better connectivity between India and other member countries of the MGC for developing a vibrant economic growth corridor.
- The minister has also emphasised on the need to quickly finalise the India-Myanmar-Thailand(IMT) Motor Vehicle Agreement to facilitate seamless movement of goods and passengers across borders.
- Further,the new MGC Plan of Action 2019-2022 was also adopted that envisages project-based cooperation in various areas including tourism ,culture, education, public health, agriculture, transport, MSMEs and water resources management.
- Mekong Ganga Cooperation(MGC) comprises six member countries namely India, Thailand, Myanmar, Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam.MGC was launched in 2000 at Laos.
- The organization takes its name from the Ganga and Mekong which are the two large rivers in the region and thus aims to build relations in the countries through which both these rivers flow.
2 min read