News:The Ministry of Housing & Urban Affairs has launched two new indices namely Ease of Living Index(EoLI) and Municipal Performance Index(MPI) to assess the quality of life of citizens in cities.
About Ease of Living Index:It is aimed at providing a holistic view of the country’s cities.
Main objectives of the Index:
- To generate information to guide evidence-based policy making
- Catalyse action to achieve broader developmental outcomes and assess
- Compare the outcomes of various urban policies and schemes
- Obtain the perception of citizens about their view of the services provided by the city administration.
Parameters of the index:
- The index will assess the ease of living of citizens on three broad parameters namely a) quality of life b) economic ability and c) sustainability which are further divided into 14 categories across 50 indicators.
- A Citizen Perception Survey is also being conducted which carries 30% of the marks of the Ease of Living Index.
- The 100 notified smart cities and another 14 cities having a population of over a million will be considered for the assessment.
About Municipal Performance Index(MPI):
- It aims to assess the performance of municipalities based on five enablers.
- These five enablers include service, finance, planning, technology and governance.They are further divided into 20 sectors and 100 indicators.