News:Government has said that eight states including Maharashtra, Uttar Pradesh, Punjab and Karnataka have finalised the action plan for agriculture export policy.
About Agriculture Export Policy:
- The Union Cabinet had approved the Agriculture Export Policy in 2018.
- The policy aims to harness export potential of Indian agriculture through suitable policy instruments to make India a global power in agriculture and raise farmers income.
- Further,the policy would also help the government in achieving the target of doubling farmers income by 2022.
Objectives of the Policy:
- To double agricultural exports from present US$ 30+ Billion to US$ 60+ Billion by 2022 and reach US$ 100 Billion in the next few years thereafter, with a stable trade policy regime.
- To diversify our export basket, destinations and boost high value and value added agricultural exports including focus on perishables.
- To promote novel, indigenous, organic, ethnic, traditional and non-traditional Agri products exports.
- To provide an institutional mechanism for pursuing market access, tackling barriers and deal with sanitary and phyto-sanitary issues.
- To strive to double India’s share in world agri exports by integrating with global value chain at the earliest.
- Enable farmers to benefit of export opportunities in overseas market.