News: According to Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), a US federal agency, the number of deaths due to EVALI, in the USA, rose to 55.
- An acronym for e-cigarette or vaping product use-associated lung injury.
- The term was coined by Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in 2019.
- Symptoms: common with other respiratory illnesses, including coughing, chest tightness, and shortness of breath, extreme fever or fatigue.
- E-cigarettes are the most common form of Electronic Nicotine Delivery Systems (ENDS). These are battery-operated devices that heat a substance which may contain nicotine and other chemicals, to create vapour for inhalation.
- Other examples: Heat Not Burn Products, e-Hookah and e-cigars and other similar devices.
Prohibition of Electronic Cigarettes Act, 2019
- Production, manufacturing, import, export, transport, sale, distribution or advertisement of e-cigarettes is a cognizable offence.
- Sub-inspector of police as the authorised officer is responsible for the implementation of provisions of the Act.