- The Union Environment Ministry has extended the construction period for the Polavaram Multipurpose Project in Andhra Pradesh by two years.
- The Polavaram project is a major multi-purpose irrigation project being constructed on the Godavari River and spread across three states – Andhra Pradesh,Odisha and Chhattisgarh.
- A dam is currently under construction in West Godavari and East Godavari districts of Andhra Pradesh.
- The project has been declared a National Project by Government of India.The Polavaram Project Authority has also been constituted by the Union Cabinet in 2014.
- The project has been built for development of Irrigation,Hydropower and drinking water facilities to East Godavari,Visakhapatnam,West Godavari and Krishna districts of Andhra Pradesh.
- The project will irrigate nearly 3 lakh ha of land,generate hydel power with installed capacity of 960 MW and provide drinking water facilities to 540 enroute villages covering 25 lakh population.
5 min read