- Henley Passport Index 2019 has been released.The Index is based on data provided by the International Air Transport Authority (IATA).
- The index has ranked India at 86 down five places from 81 in 2018. India’s mobility score is 58 which means that Indian passport holders can access 58 countries around the world without a prior visa.
- As per the Index,Japan and Singapore have the world’s most powerful passports as their passports allow visa-free or visa-on-arrival travel to 189 places.
- Further,the index provides that Afghanistan holds the weakest passport, with a score and ranking of 25 and 109 respectively.
- The Henley Passport Index (HPI) is a global ranking of countries according to travel freedom for their citizens.It was started in 2006 as Henley & Partners Visa Restrictions Index(HVRI) and was modified and renamed in January 2018.
- The index ranks passports based on the number of countries a holder can go to without a visa or the number of countries a holder can go to where they can obtain a visa,visitor’s permit, or electronic travel authority upon arrival.
2 min read