1.Kovilpatti Kadalai Mittai and Kashmir saﬀron gets GI tag
News: Geographical Indication Registry of India has accorded Geographical Indication(GI) tag to Kovilpatti Kadalai Mittai and Kashmir saﬀron.
Kovilpatti Kadalai Mittai:
- It is peanut candy made in southern parts of Tamil Nadu.The candy is prepared from groundnut and jaggery.
- Uniqueness: a) Water is exclusively used from the river Thamirabarani and b) Production process is done using ‘veragu aduppu’ (firewood stove).
- It is cultivated and harvested in the Karewa (highlands) of Jammu and Kashmir.It is the only saffron in the world grown at an altitude of 1,600 m to 1,800m above mean sea level.
- Characteristics: longer and thicker stigmas, natural deep-red colour, high aroma, bitter flavour, chemical-free processing and high quantity of crocin (colouring strength), safranal (flavour) and picrocrocin (bitterness).
- Types: a) Lacha Saffron– Stigmas are separated from the flowers and dried without further processing b) Mongra Saffron– stigmas are detached from the flower, dried in the sun and processed traditionally and c) Guchhi Saffron- same as Lachha except that the latter’s dried stigmas are packed loosely in air-tight containers while the former has stigmas joined together in a bundle tied with a cloth thread.
- Significance : It is known all over the world as a spice, health rejuvenator and is also used in cosmetics as well as for medicinal purposes.
Facts: Project Coswara has been launched by Indian Institute of Science(IISc), Bengaluru.It aims to develop a tool for diagnosis of COVID-19 based on respiratory, cough and speech sounds.
3.Kisan Sabha App Launched by CSIR
News: CSIR-Central Road Research Institute (CSIR-CRRI) launched Kisan Sabha App
Aim: To provide the most economical and timely logistics support to the farmers and increase their profit margins by minimizing the interference of middlemen.
- connects the farmers, transporters, Service providers (like pesticides/ fertilizer dealers), mandi dealers, customers (like big retail outlets, online stores)
- acts as a single stop for every entity related to agriculture
- works for people in agriculture services sector such as dealers of fertilizers/ pesticides
- useful for those associated with cold stores or godowns
- provides a platform for people who want to buy directly from the farmers.
4.Govt to expand activities under Jal Shakti Abhiyan during monsoon
News: Government has decided to utilise the monsoon season to expand its Jal Shakti Abhiyan by giving priority to irrigation and water conservation works under MGNREGA.
Jal Shakti Abhiyan:
- Launched Year: 2019
- It is a time bound campaign with a mission mode approach intended to improve water availability including ground water conditions in the water stressed blocks of 256 districts in India
- Aim:To make water conservation and promotion of irrigation efficiency a jan andolan(public campaign) through asset creation and communication campaigns in rural India.
- Implementation: It is a collaborative effort of various Ministries of the Government of India and State Governments being coordinated by the Department of Drinking Water and Sanitation,Ministry of Jal Shakti.
- Intervention areas: a) Water conservation and rainwater harvesting b) Renovation of water bodies c) Renovation of bore well recharge structures d) Watershed development and e) intensive afforestation.