News: The Union Finance Minister participated in the 101st Meeting of the Development Committee of the World Bank-IMF through a video conference.
- The main discussions were on World Bank Group Response to the COVID-19 Emergency, and the Covid-19 Debt Initiative: International Call for Action in Support of IDA Countries.
- World Bank has provided a financial support of 150 to 160 billion USD to combat COVID-19 for the next 15 months
International Development Association (IDA)
- It is the part of the World Bank that helps the world’s poorest countries. It was established in 1960.
- It aims to reduce poverty by providing loans (called “credits”) and grants for programs that boost economic growth, reduce inequalities, and improve people’s living conditions.
- It lends money on concessional terms-IDA credits have a zero or very low interest charge. It also provides grants to countries at risk of debt distress.