News: Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports has announced Ripu Daman Bevli as the Plogging Ambassador of India.
About Fit India Plogging Run:
- Fit India Plogging Run is a part of the Fit India Movement. It was launched on October 2, 2019. Plog Run is a unique way of picking up garbage while jogging.
- Fit India Plogging Run combines the Fit India Movement and Swachh Bharat Abhiyan.
About Fit India Movement
- It is a nation-wide campaign which aims to encourage people to inculcate physical activity and sports in their everyday lives. It is implemented by the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports.
- It was launched by the Prime Minister on the occasion of National Sports day in 2019. National Sports Day is celebrated on 29th August every year to mark the birth anniversary of legendary hockey player Major Dhyan Chand.
- A 28 member committee head by Union Sports Minister and comprising of government officials, members of the Indian Olympic Association (IOA), national sports federations, private bodies, and fitness promoters advise the government on the Fit India Movement.
About Swachh Bharat Mission:
- It is a nationwide cleanliness campaign initiated by Govt. of India on 2nd October 2014.
- Aim: It sought to achieve a Clean India by 2019, as a tribute to the 150th Birth Anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi.
- Eliminate open defecation
- Conversion of insanitary toilets to pour flush toilets,
- Eradication of manual scavenging,
- 100% collection and scientific processing/disposal reuse/recycle of Municipal Solid Waste,
- To bring about a behavioral change in people regarding healthy sanitation practices,
- Generate awareness among the citizens about sanitation and its linkages with public health.
- Strengthening of urban local bodies to design, execute and operate systems,
- To create an enabling environment for private sector participation in Capital Expenditure and Operation & Maintenance (O&M) costs.
- Construction of Household Toilets,
- Community and Public Toilets
- Solid Waste Management
- Information, Education & Communication (IEC) and Public Awareness,
- Capacity Building and Administrative & Office Expenses (A&OE).
o Swachh Bharat Mission (Gramin): It aims to improve the levels of cleanliness in rural areas through Solid and Liquid Waste Management activities and making villages Open Defecation Free (ODF) and clean. It is implemented by the Department of Drinking Water and Sanitation, Jal Shakti Ministry
o Swachh Bharat Mission (Urban): It aims at the elimination of open defecation, conversion of unsanitary toilets to pour flush toilets, eradication of manual scavenging, municipal solid waste management and bringing about a behavioral change in people regarding healthy sanitation practices. It is implemented by the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs.