News: A study has reported a high rate of deforestation in Papum Reserve Forest (RF), a major hornbill habitat in Arunachal Pradesh.
- Papum Reserve Forest: It is an Important Bird and Biodiversity Areas (IBAs) in Arunachal Pradesh.
- Location: It is located between two IBAs, Itanagar Wildlife Sanctuary to the east and Pakke Wildlife Sanctuary to the west.
- Vegetation: It forms part of the Eastern Himalayas Endemic Bird Area.A large part of the site is covered by Subtropical Dry Evergreen and Semi-evergreen Forests while the higher areas are under Subtropical Broadleaf Hill Forest cover.
- Hornbill Species: The Papum Reserve is a nesting habitat of three species of hornbills:
- Great hornbill- Vulnerable
- Wreathed hornbill – Vulnerable and
- Oriental Pied Hornbill- Least Concern.
- Pakke reserve houses a fourth species,the Rufous-Necked Hornbill- Vulnerable.