- Former President of India Pratibha Patil has been conferred with the “Orden Mexicana del Águila Azteca”(Order of the Aztec Eagle).It is the highest civilian award of Mexico given to foreigners.
- She was awarded for her contribution in strengthening the humanitarian relations between India and Mexico.
- The award was created in 1993 by the then President of Mexico, Abelardo L. Rodriguez.It is given to prominent heads of state or government, ambassadors after they have served in Mexico.
- Pratibha Patil is the first Indian woman and second Indian after Dr Sarvapalli Radhakrishnan to receive such an award.
- Earlier Dr. Nelson Mandela, Queen Elizabeth II (2nd) and Bill Gates were also honoured with this award.
4 min read