- Indian Prime Minister is attending the 2019 G20 Summit held in Osaka, Japan. The summit is the 14th such gathering.The theme of the G20 summit 2019 is human-centred future society.
- After this summit,India will become part of the troika that includes the next set of G20 chairs – Saudi Arabia (2020), Italy (2021) and India (2022).
- India is looking at the issue of corruption and fugitive economic offenders to be the focus area of this edition’s summit.India is trying to include a strong paragraph on the issue of corruption in the Osaka declaration.
- India had proposed a nine-point agenda at the last G-20 summit in Buenos Aires,Argentina which included (a)strengthening international cooperation (b)arriving at a common understanding in terms of definitions (c)introducing a platform for sharing of best practices and (d)identifying legal mechanisms so that the issue can be tackled more meaningfully fulfilling domestic legislation.
- Further,the G20 summit is expected to establish principles for the worldwide governance of data.The negotiations have been led by Japan under their presidency under an initiative called the ‘Osaka Track’.
- The Osaka track principles will lay the foundation for multilateral and bilateral negotiations on data including data localisation, data sovereignty among others.
- The G20 will also launch discussions on the Methane Economy or Hydrogen Economy to identify ways of carbon capture and sequestration.
- G20 is an international forum of the governments and central bank governors from 20 major economies formed in 1999.The group accounts for 85% of world GDP and two-thirds of the population.They have no permanent staff of its own and its chairmanship rotates annually between nations divided into regional groupings.
7 min read