News:Recently,the Punjab’s martial arts form,Gatka was performed by the Sikh community on the occasion of Republic Day.
About Gatka Martial Art:
- Gatka is a traditional martial art form associated with the Sikh gurus.It imbibes sword and sticks fighting skills and self-control.
- It is believed to have originated when the 6th Sikh Guru Hargobind adopted ‘Kirpan’ for self-defence during the Mughal era.
Other Martial Art forms in India:
- Kalaripayattu – Kerala
- Silambam – Tamil Nadu
- Thang-ta – Manipur
- Thoda – Himachal Pradesh
- Lathi Khela – Punjab and Bengal
- Pari-Khanda – Bihar by Rajputs
- Mardani Khel – Maharashtra.