News:Recently,the Indian Commission for Cooperation with UNESCO(INCCU) was chaired by the Union Human Resource Development(HRD) Minister.
- Indian National Commission for Cooperation with UNESCO(INCCU) was formed by the Government of India in 1949.It was made a permanent commission in 1951.
- It functions under the Department of Secondary and Higher Education in the Ministry of Human Resource Development.
- The main objective of the Commission is to advise the Government in matters falling in the domain of UNESCO and to play a role in UNESCO’s work particularly in the formulation and execution of its programmes.
- The Commission consists of five Sub-Commissions namely (i) Education (ii) Natural Sciences (iii) Social Sciences (iv) Communication and (v) Culture.
- President : The Minister of Human Resource Development.
- Secretary General : The Secretary in the Department of Higher Education,Ministry of Human Resource Development.
- The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) was formed in 1945.It is a specialized agency of the United Nations(UN) based in Paris,France.
- It seeks to build peace through international cooperation in Education, Sciences and Culture.Currently,it has 193 member states and 11 associate members.
- India has been a member of the UNESCO since its inception in the year 1946.