News:The United Nations Development Programme(UNDP) has released the Gender Social Norms Index(GSNI).
About the index:
- The index measures how social beliefs obstruct gender equality in areas like politics, work and education.
- It contains data from 75 countries covering over 80 percent of the world’s population.
Key takeaways from the index:
- Only 24% of parliamentary seats worldwide are held by women and there are only 10 female heads of government out of a possible 193. About 50% of the world’s men and women feel that men make better political leaders.
- The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is the UN’s global development network established in 1965.It is headquartered in New York,US.
- The various reports published by UNDP are a) Gender inequality index b) Human Development Index(HDI) among others.