News:Government has planned to set up a National Genomic Grid to study genomic data of cancer patients from India.
About Genomic Grid:
- The National Genomic Grid will be formed in line with the National Cancer Tissue Biobank (NCTB).
- The grid will have four parts corresponding to eastern, western, northern and southern parts of India.
Objective of the Grid:
- The grid will collect samples from cancer patients to study genomic factors influencing cancer and identifying the right treatment modalities for the Indian population.
- The grid will also aims to make cancer treatment viable for people of different economic classes.
National Cancer Tissue Biobank (NCTB):
- National Cancer Tissue Biobank(NCTB) is a state-of-the-art non-profit community based tissue biobank.
- It is a joint initiative of Department of Science and Technology (DST), Government of India and Indian Institute of Technology Madras (IITM), Chennai.
- It is the first of its kind facility in India and is aimed at providing researchers with high quality of cancer tissues and the patient data in order to facilitate cancer research that will lead to improvements in cancer diagnosis and treatment.