- The Indian Journal of Medical Research has described celiac disease which is caused due to an allergy to gluten as an impending epidemic in 2011.It has also been revealed that one of every 140 persons in India is estimated to have celiac disease.
- Celiac disease is an autoimmune disorder that can occur in genetically predisposed people where the ingestion of gluten leads to damage in the small intestine.
- The disease is a lifelong digestive and auto-immune disorder that results in damage to the lining of the small intestine when foods with gluten such as wheat,rye,barley and oats are eaten.
- The affected individuals display symptoms like prolonged diarrhea, abdominal,fullness and anemia owing to decreased absorption of nutrients by the intestine.
- Currently,the only treatment for celiac disease is lifelong adherence to a strict gluten-free diet which is a protein found in wheat, barley and rye.
4 min read