News: Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW), for the first time, explicitly blamed Syria for toxic attacks in 2017.
- The Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) is the implementing body for the Chemical Weapons Convention(1997). It has 193 members including India.
- Established: 1997
- Headquarters: The Hague, Netherlands.
- Goal: Preventing chemical warfare
- Destroying all existing chemical weapons under international verification by the OPCW.
- Monitoring chemical industry to prevent chemical weapons from re-emerging.
- Providing assistance and protection to States Parties against chemical threats.
- Fostering international cooperation to strengthen implementation of the Convention and promote the peaceful use of chemistry.