- Google has unveiled a new app ‘Bolo’ that aims to help primary school students learn to read in Hindi and English
- The app has an in-built reading companion called ‘Diya’ that encourages children to read stories aloud and helps if the child is unable to pronounce a word.
- The app which has been launched first in India.It uses Google’s speech recognition and text-to-speech technology.
- As per the ASER 2018 report,an autonomous survey unit,of all the students enrolled in grade 5 in rural India,only about half can confidently read a grade 2 level textbook.
- This app aims to help improve the reading ability of children, as the lack of it can significantly impact further education and ultimately children’s ability to realise their full potential.
1 min read