- The government has approved the launch of Phase-3 of Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana (PMGSY). The scheme is under the aegis of Ministry of Rural Development.
- Under the PMGSY-III Scheme, the government has proposed to consolidate roads measuring 1.25 lakh km in length in the states.
- Further, construction of bridges of up to 150m in plain areas and 200 m in Himalayan and north eastern states have been proposed
- It involves consolidation of through routes and major rural links connecting habitations to gramin agricultural markets (GrAMs), higher secondary schools and hospitals
- The duration of the 3rd phase will be of five years till 2024-25.
- PMGSY was launched in 2000. It aims to provide connectivity, by way of an All-weather Road to the eligible unconnected habitations of designated population size (500+ in plain areas and 250+ in North-East, hill, tribal and desert areas). By providing connectivity, the scheme seeks to boost socio-economic development of the areas.
1 min read