News:Government has cleared the procurement of six squadrons of the indigenous Akash air defence missile.
- The Akash is a medium range Surface-to-air missile with multi-target engagement capability.
- The missile is developed by the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO).
- The missile has a strike range of 25 km.It can reach an altitude of 18 km and can be fired from both tracked and wheeled platforms.
- The missile is capable of neutralizing advanced aerial targets and in striking down enemy fighter jets and drones effectively.
- The missile was developed as part of the Integrated Guided-Missile Development Programme (IGMDP).
- The Integrated Guided-Missile Development Programme (IGMDP) was conceived by Dr. APJ. Abdul Kalam to enable India attain self-sufficiency in the field of missile technology.
- The missiles developed under this programme include (a)Agni (b)Akash, (c)Trishul (d)Prithvi and (e)Nag.