News: The Information and Broadcasting Ministry has constituted a four-member committee to review the guidelines on TRPs (Television Rating Points).
- Chaired by: The committee will be chaired by Shashi S. Vempati, CEO, Prasar Bharti.
- Terms of Reference: The Terms of Reference for the Committee shall be as under:
- Study past recommendations made by various forums on the subject of television rating systems in India.
- Study recent recommendations of Telecom Regulatory Authority on the subject;
- Suggest steps for enhancing competition in the sector and review the presently notified guidelines.
- TRP: It represents how many people from which socio economic categories watched which channels for how much time during a particular period.
- Methodology: For calculating TRP, BARC has installed “BAR-O-meters” in over 45,000 empanelled households.These households are classified into 12 categories under the New Consumer Classification System (NCCS).
- Broadcast Audience Research Council(BARC): It is an industry body jointly owned by advertisers, ad agencies and broadcasting companies, represented by The Indian Society of Advertisers, the Indian Broadcasting Foundation and the Advertising Agencies Association of India.