News: Government of India has introduced three bills in Lok Sabha which are aimed at transformation of agriculture in the country and raising farmers income.
Farmers (Empowerment and Protection) Agreement on Price Assurance and Farm Services Ordinance,2020:
- Farming agreement: It provides for a national framework on farming agreements that protects and empowers farmers to engage with agri-business firms, processors, wholesalers, among others for farm services and sale of future farming produce.
- Dispute Settlement: A farming agreement must also provide for a conciliation board as well as a conciliation process for settlement of disputes.
Essential Commodities (Amendment) Bill, 2020:
- Essential Commodities: It seeks to remove commodities like cereals, pulses, oilseeds, edible oils, onion and potatoes from the list of essential commodities.
- Significance: This will remove fear of private investors of excessive regulatory interference in their business operations and will also help in attracting private sector/foreign direct investment into the agriculture sector.
Farmers Produce Trade and Commerce (Promotion and Facilitation) Bill, 2020:
- Trade of farmers produce: It opens up agricultural marketing outside the notified Agricultural Produce Market Committee (APMC) for farmers and also removes barriers to inter-State trade.
- Electronic Trading: It seeks to permit the electronic trading of farmers produced in the specified trade area.