News:Government of India has decided to set up & strengthen Women Help Desks (WHDs) and Anti-Human-Trafficking-Units (AHTUs) in states across the Country.
About Anti-Human Trafficking Units(AHTUs)
- It will be set up in all districts of States & UTs for safety and security of women and girl victims of trafficking.
- These units will also provide psycho-social counselling, legal counselling and aid to the beneficiaries.
About Women Help Desks(WHDs)
- It will be set up in Police Stations in all States & Union territories(UTs).
- WHDs would be gender sensitive desks for grievance redressal of women through the policing system as well as catalysts for improved community interaction of the police with focus on crime against women and children.
- It will be funded 100% by the Central Government under Nirbhaya Fund.
About Nirbhaya fund:
- The Nirbhaya fund scheme seeks to support initiatives by the government and NGOs working towards protecting the dignity and ensuring the safety of women in India.
- The fund was set up in 2013 in the aftermath of the gruesome gang-rape and murder in Delhi.
- The key schemes under the fund includes (a)Emergency Response Support System (b)Central Victim Compensation Fund (c)Cyber Crime Prevention against Women and Children (d)One Stop Scheme (e)Mahila Police Volunteer and (f)Universalisation of Women Helpline Scheme.