Skip to content
- Government has prepared a roadmap for extending the pilot scheme of Rice Fortification all over the country.
- In February 2019,government had approved centrally sponsored pilot scheme on “Fortification of Rice and its Distribution under Public Distribution System”.
- Fortification is the practice of deliberately increasing the content of an essential micronutrients such as vitamins and minerals in food.
- This is done to improve the nutritional quality of the food supply and provide a public health benefit with minimal risk to health.
- Under this scheme, rice is fortified with Iron, Folic Acid and Vitamin B-12. The responsibility for implementation of the scheme lie with states which fortifies the rice for distribution through PDS.