News:The Union cabinet is likely to approve an ordinance prohibiting the manufacture and sale of e-cigarettes.
- E-cigarettes are also known as Electronic Nicotine Delivery Systems (ENDS).
- They are battery powered devices that work by heating a liquid into an aerosol that the user inhales and exhales.
- The e-cigarette liquid typically contains nicotine, propylene glycol, glycerin, flavorings, and other chemicals.
Concerns on E-Cigarettes:
- E-cigarettes contain nicotine which may lead to new tobacco addiction.
- E-cigarettes causes respiratory, cardiovascular and neurological disorders and adverse impact on foetal development and pregnancy.
- According to WHO report,nicotine itself is not a carcinogen.But it may function as a tumour promoter and seems to be involved in the biology of malignant disease as well as of neuro-degeneration.
Regulations on E-Cigarettes:
- As e-cigarettes contain nicotine and not tobacco,they do not fall within the ambit of the Cigarettes and Other Tobacco Products Act, 2003 (COTPA).
- The COTPA act mandates stringent health warnings on the packaging and advertisements of tobacco products.