News:President has given his assent to the Gujarat Control of Terrorism and Organised Crime (GCTOC) Bill,2015.
Key Provisions of the bill:
- The act defines a ‘terrorist act’ as an act committed with the intention to disturb law and order or threaten the unity, integrity, and security of the state.
- The Act empowers law enforcing authorities to intercept phone calls, recording of which would be admissible in court as evidence.
- Section 16 of the bill stipulates a confession made by a person before a police officer not below the rank of superintendent of police (SP) shall be admissible in court.
- Section 25 provides immunity to the government and police officers for initiating action under the law.
- The law puts the onus of proving the innocence of the accused on the accused and has provision for maximum punishment of death penalty and fine of Rs 10 lakh.
- The bill extends period of probe from stipulated 90 days to 180 days before filing of charge sheet.
- The bill also provides for the creation of a special court as well as the appointment of special public prosecutors.