News:India wants Russia to speed up the delivery schedule of the advanced S-400 Triumf surface-to-air missile systems.
- India had signed a $5 billion deal with Russia for the purchase of five S-400 systems during the 19th India-Russia Annual Bilateral Summit in 2018.
- S-400 Triumf Missile System is a mobile, surface-to-air missile system (SAM).
- It can detect, track and destroy hostile strategic bombers, jets spy planes, missiles and drones at a range of 380-km.
- It can engage all types of aerial targets such as aircraft, ballistic and cruise missiles and unmanned aerial vehicles(UAV).
- It can track 100 airborne targets including super fighters such as the American built F-35 and engage six of them simultaneously.
US on S-400 Deal
- Earlier,the United States had threatened India that it might exercise sanctions on India under Countering America’s Adversaries through Sanctions Act(CAATSA) act for trading with Russia.
Countering America’s Adversaries through Sanctions Act(CAATSA):
- The Countering America’s Adversaries through Sanctions Act (CAATSA) is a United States federal law that imposed sanctions on Iran, North Korea, and Russia.
- It includes sanctions against countries that engage in significant transactions with Russia’s defense and intelligence sectors.
About Akula-class submarine:
- India had also signed a $ 3.3 billion deal with Russia in 2019 to take third Akula-class nuclear-powered submarine on lease for 10 years.The submarine will be called Chakra-3 and will be delivered by 2025.
- The first Russian nuclear-powered submarine called INS Chakra was taken by India in 1988 under a three year lease.A second INS Chakra was taken on lease in 2012 for a period of 10 years.
- Akula-class nuclear powered Submarine(SSNs) are a part of the Indian navy’s combat fleet.They are propelled by a nuclear reactor but do not carry nuclear weapons.
- These vessels can remain underwater for months making them almost impossible to detect and are a big deterrence for enemy vessels in the region.
- Their weapons load consists of land attack and anti-ship missiles and torpedoes to sink enemy shipping.