News:Indian Army is scheduled to conduct a major Exercise called ‘HimVijay’.
About the Exercise:
- The exercise HimVijay will be conducted by 17 Mountain Strike Corps.
- The exercise will take place in October,2019 in Arunachal Pradesh and Assam.
- The Indian army will join with the integrated battle groups(IBGs) for this exercise.The Indian Air force(IAF) will also be part of the exercise for strategic airlift of personnel and equipment.
- The primary aim of carrying out such an exercise is to test if the Mountain Strike Corps which is under the Eastern command can carry out operations in different terrains.
About Mountain strike Corps:
- Mountain Strike corps is India’s first dedicated strike corps for mountain operations.
- It focuses on the eastern end of the contested border to bolster India’s defence.
- They can also be used in any mountainous region which means all the northern borders.
About Integrated Battle groups:
- IBGs are brigade-sized, agile, self-sufficient combat formations which can swiftly launch strikes against adversary in case of hostilities.
- Each IBG would be tailor-made based on Threat, Terrain and Task and resources will be allotted based on the three Ts.
- The IBGs will also be defensive and offensive.While the offensive IBGs would quickly mobilise and make thrust into enemy territory for strikes,
- On the other hand, the defensive IBGs would hold ground at vulnerable points or where enemy action is expected.The composition of the IBGs would also depend on this.